President Joseph F. Smith said, “I would fear very much for our safety if we had fallen into a condition where the devil ceased to be concerned about us.” There is no salvation in false doctrine or safety in believing myths about the evil that surrounds. There was no topic discussed more in the early days of the restored church than the devil, deception, and unclean spirits. It too must be understood and discussed today. Start here with a modern explanation of the battlefield, weapons, tools, promised and recommendations.
There are many myths propagated among Latter-day Saints regarding the battle against darkness, evil spirits and the adversary. The first, “If you talk about evil spirits, you will bring them about,” is most likely born out of fear of the unknown and lack of correct knowledge. It seems that with many Latter-day Saints, the idea that they could possibly have any evil spirits near them or within their homes is ludicrous. The concept behind this reasoning is that a “good” member of the Church could not possibly have evil spirits near them. This notion follows the worldly idea that “good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people.” The idea is that only those Saints who are sinning, do not read their scriptures enough, pray enough, or at least sincerely enough, or do not play or sing Gospel hymns could possibly be attended by evil spirits. This faulty reasoning is far from the truth and simply demonstrates the serious lack of knowledge of these Saints. Download PDF.
That is what I want to say to the brethren and sisters here today. Every man and woman in this Church should labor to get that Spirit. We are surrounded by those evil spirits that are at war against God and against everything looking to the building up of the Kingdom of God; and we need this Holy Spirit to enable us to overcome these influences. Wilford Woodruff
Consider what Brigham Young taught regarding those Saints who are striving to do good.
I know very well that, whether we are active or not, the invisible spirits are active. And every person who desires and strives to be a Saint is closely watched by fallen spirits that came here when Lucifer fell, and by the spirits of wicked persons who have been here in tabernacles and departed from them, but who are still under the control of the prince of the power of the air. Those spirits are never idle; they are watching every person who wishes to do right, and are continually prompting them to do wrong. This makes it necessary for us to be continually on our guard—makes this probation a continual warfare.
President Young also stated:
Bunyan speaks of a city that was perfectly given up to idolatry, and needed only one devil to watch the whole of it; but one Saint, a poor old man walking through the streets, required a score of devils to watch him. The city was already in possession of the Evil One, and it needed no care or watching. There are scores of evil spirits here—spirits of the old Gadianton robbers, some of whom inhabited these mountains, and used to go into the South and afflict the Nephites. There are millions of those spirits in the mountains, and they are ready to make us covetous, if they can; they are ready to lead astray every man and woman that wishes to be a Latter-day Saint.
The second myth is, “If you talk about evil spirits you give them power.” The primary thing that gives them power over a person is sin.13 The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that “the moment we revolt at anything which comes from God, the devil takes power.”14 Another way we give Satan power is when his “lies succeed in deceiving us, we become vulnerable to his power.” Then there is fear. Fear is the opposite of faith16 and when we lack faith, we open ourselves up to Satan’s power. Finally, there is ignorance or lack of correct knowledge. Our lack of correct knowledge gives evil spirits a great deal of power.
Talking about evil spirits does not give them power; instead, it gives us power over them because that knowledge will allow us to understand how they work and thus enable us to thwart their designs.
“…A man is saved no faster than he gets knowledge, for if he does not get knowledge, he will be brought into captivity by some evil power in the other world, as evil spirits will have more knowledge, and consequently more power than many men who are on the earth. Hence it needs revelation to assist us, and give us knowledge of the things of God.”
- The Power of the Priesthood and/or the name of Jesus Christ always works.
- You do not need to always raise your arm to the square or say the words audibly with physical attacks. Raising your arm to the square is best, but sometimes we are not able to do so.
- May perform priesthood blessings over the phone. Probably 90% of my blessings are over the phone. Extreme cases are often benefited by being present with the laying on of hands and anointing with consecrated oil.
- Do not use or permit language like “afraid” “scary” or “scared.” Use better language like “intense” or “crazy” Nothing is scary about this when you know the priesthood works every time.
- Every negative emotion, unworthy thought, or temptation is almost always sourced in the powers of darkness (i.e. an evil spirit).
- Everything on our Heavenly Father’s side (the Light) is mimicked or imitated by the powers of darkness. (i.e. the gift of discernment is mimicked by divination and psychic powers)
- Use the gift of discernment and revelation (spiritual gifts) to identify the adversary and their weapons. Father instructed me to use spiritual gifts. I personally do not use worldly approaches like muscle testing also known as applied kinesiology.
- Individuals often reveal matters that require repentance like pornography, adultery, or fornication. I ask them to discuss matters related to repentance with their Bishop. I explain that I am not their Bishop.
- Evil Spirits: one-third part that followed Lucifer in the premortal existence.
- Unclean Spirits: those who kept their first estate in the premortal councils. Most likely, they lived on the earth and led unworthy lives. They are unclean until they repent and receive the Savior’s atonement. Then, they become clean through the atonement. Hence, the title unclean spirits.
- Entities: Disembodied things or creatures that may or may not have a spirit. Examples include spiritual snakes and wolves. Also included, evil intelligence’s.
- The Will of Our Heavenly Father – this is an inviolate law.
- Agency – God honors the Law of Agency. Also inviolate.
- Accountability – God honors the Law of Accountability
- Mercy – God desires to bless His Children with Mercy
- The Savior (who is the master physician) heals. We use Him. We should not take nor seek for the credit in this work.
Visual Representation of the battlefield
Classes of Evil and Unclean Spirits
- Physical attackers – throw and damage or destroy physical objects, shake buildings, try to physically hurt people
- Possessors – attempt possession (often occurs when the energy field for a person is broken or severed).
- Emotion-Focused Spirits and Entities. I call them emoters.
- False Priests who Oppress and Create False Beliefs
- Diviners, Psychics, Witches, Warlocks
- Ancestors and intergenerational family members
- Observers (formerly known as watchers)
- Indirects – work through others to attack
- Intermitten Spirits
Advanced evil and unclean spirits take the name of the person they are affecting. This is very dangerous with respect to identifying personal thoughts.
By the authority of the priesthood or by invoking the name of Jesus Christ, command all evil and unclean spirits and entities and their replacements to be immediately bound and contained. Command them to follow and obey these instructions with respect to you, the individual for whom the blessing is intended, and for our mutual families, friends, and acquaintances.
If working with ministering angels, ask the ministering angels to give these priesthood instructions.
- Never return
- Do not reveal anything; including from where or by whom they
were cast out
- Destroy all records and record keeping devices
- Do not transfer (example is with Legion in the New Testament. Don’t give them any opportunity to transfer). Transfer happens a lot in homes with immorality and abuse (i.e. pornography)
- Others instructions as directed by the Spirit or recognized as needed by ministering angels. Such as destroy central records and knowledge of the individual.
- Cast them out to spirit prison in a place beyond their ability to influence the involved individuals until:
- They repent or
- They receive the final judgement or
- The Father permits their release
We’re so close to the millennium that it doesn’t matter if they are bound and contained for 1,000 plus a few extra years. Remember: these instructions must be obeyed with respect to the individual receiving the blessing, to you, to your mutual families, friends, and acquaintances.
Evil Weapons and Tools
- Fiery Darts of the Adversary: More than Metaphor • Curses
- Chains, Cords, Ties, Bonds, Connections, Links
- Layers and mists of darkness • Coverings and shields
- Openings, portals, doorways
- Viruses – often attached to lies
- Covenants and Contracts (refer to Doctrine and Covenants 132:7)
- Patterns – very dangerous due to subtlety
- Embedded Weapons (i.e. DNA and intergenerational structures)
What is the promise?
Isaiah 54: No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper. Necessary Actions:
All of the adversary’s weapons, tools, and resources need to be severed or removed from individuals, their families and their homes or even business or work location. Then, destroy these items. If they cannot be destroyed (i.e. embedded DNA weapons), I have been instructed to sanctify them so that they can now only be used for righteous purposes.
Heavenly Weapons and Tools
- The Priesthood and Invoking the name of Jesus Christ
- Our absolute faith (no fear)
- The Light and Love of Heavenly Father. Ask for this to come down from heaven and fill the soul of the affected individual.
- Counsel to individuals to look for the hand of the Lord in their everyday life. Reference President Eyring’s October 2007 Conference Talk entitled “O Remember, Remember.”
- Maintaining a spirit of gratitude, forgiveness, joy, and love for everyone.
- Shields, boundaries, or barriers around homes and people.
- Ties and connections to the Savior and Heavenly Father
- Spiritual Pillars that bring light, healing, peace, love or other blessings into a home.
- Use revelation and your spiritual gifts like discernment.
- Avoid anything that jeopardizes the Spirit – particularly many
forms of music and entertainment (i.e. television and movies)
- Wear temple garments faithfully
When it comes to evil spirits, it does not matter how righteous you may be or your calling in the church. Evil spirits attend us4 and surround us every moment of every day of our lives. There is no avoiding them, especially if you are serious about returning to your Heavenly Father. This is not to say that they will not harass those who are mediocre or indifferent. Everyone has evil spirits assigned to them. They watch us constantly, waiting for an unguarded or careless moment to tempt, influence, and afflict. Talking about them will not bring them suddenly to you because they already surround you. Those who are without a knowledge of evil spirits, and lack a belief in their existence and power will be unable to discern their presence.
Being tempted, influenced, afflicted, and tormented by evil spirits is the main, necessary component of opposition in the plan of salvation. Without the role that evil spirits play in the plan of salvation, we could not prove ourselves worthy to return to our Heavenly Father. Satan and evil spirits are absolutely essential to His plan. “He needed the devil and a great many of those who do his bidding just to keep men straight, that we may learn to place our dependence upon God and trust in Him, and to observe His laws and keep His commandments.” Brigham Young told the Saints to “not flatter yourselves for a moment that the Devil has left us. You will find that he marshals his forces more particularly against this people….”
President Joseph F. Smith said, “I would fear very much for our safety if we had fallen into a condition where the devil ceased to be concerned about us.”
To say that you do not have evil spirits around you because you do not talk about them is utter fallacy. The entire purpose of Satan and his minions is to influence and tempt us, to see if we will choose of our own free will to follow the Savior or give in to sin.11 Consequently, these evil spirits are continually watching us and waiting for an opening to see if we will give in to their promptings.